President Donald Trump expressed his interest on Monday, March 31, in a theoretical election against former President Barack Obama, despite constitutional restrictions on serving more than two terms.
“I’d love that, boy, I’d love that,” Trump said when questioned about facing Obama in such a scenario. Trump then shifted to addressing the possibility of extending his presidency beyond 2028, stating, “I never looked into it. They do say there’s a way you can do it, but I don’t know about that.”
These comments were made as Trump signed an executive order in the Oval Office aimed at increasing oversight of ticket resellers, with musician Kid Rock, a supporter of Trump, in attendance.
This marks the second time in two days that Trump has broached the subject of bypassing the 22nd Amendment, which prevents presidents from being elected more than twice. On Sunday, Trump told NBC News that “there are methods” to avoid the constitutional limit, insisting it was not a joke.
“A lot of people want me to do it,” Trump told NBC. Later, while speaking to reporters on Air Force One, he said, “I don’t want to talk about a third term right now… No matter how you look at it, we got a long time to go.”
Speaking with reporters on Monday, Trump took a less definitive stance, admitting uncertainty about the feasibility of a third term, though he claimed, “people are asking me to run.”
The prospect of a Trump-Obama race remains hypothetical due to substantial legal hurdles. The 22nd Amendment explicitly states, “no person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice,” with no exceptions for non-consecutive terms.
Legal experts concur that any attempt to bypass the amendment would face formidable challenges, requiring either a two-thirds vote in Congress or support from two-thirds of state legislatures, followed by ratification from three-quarters of states.
Nonetheless, some Trump allies have proposed the idea. Steve Bannon, a former adviser to Trump, has publicly suggested that Trump could run and win again in 2028. Meanwhile, Rep. Andy Ogles (R-Tennessee) introduced a resolution earlier this year advocating for an extension of presidential term limits specifically to allow Trump another run.
Senate Majority Leader John Thune minimized Trump’s remarks, telling reporters that the president is “probably having some fun with it and probably messing with you.” White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt also dismissed the notion, stating a third term is “not really something we’re thinking about.”