President Donald Trump has firmly stated “I’m not a sleeper” during a meeting in the Oval Office on Tuesday, November 18, 2025. His comments came in response to viral videos that appeared to show him nodding off at a White House event earlier this month. The 79-year-old president was speaking as he hosted Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, amid increasing criticism over his apparent drowsiness during official proceedings.
The issue began after Trump was seen with his eyes closed during a press conference on Thursday, November 6, which focused on the prices of weight loss drugs. During the event, Trump was filmed slumped in his chair with his eyes shut while Dr. Mehmet Oz, the administrator for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, spoke next to him. The footage quickly spread on social media, with critics dubbing Trump “Sleepy Don” and “Dozy Don,” recalling his previous attacks on former President Joe Biden for similar behavior.
When a Saudi journalist questioned Trump about his time management during the Tuesday meeting, considering the president’s earlier commendation of MBS’s work ethic, Trump took the opportunity to counter the criticism. “He does not sleep much, and I don’t sleep much. I think we have the same schedule,” Trump said, highlighting that both leaders were preoccupied “thinking about our countries.” Trump has previously claimed he typically sleeps only three to four hours per night.
Trump then criticized Biden, now 83, saying the former president “sleeps all the time, during the day, during the night, on the beach.” Observers noted the irony, as Trump had often referred to Biden as “Sleepy Joe” during and after the 2024 campaign. Now, Trump himself is under similar scrutiny as the oldest president to serve.
The November 6 event was notable because a man fainted in the Oval Office during the live-streamed announcement, requiring Dr. Oz to quickly assist him. White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt later confirmed that the man was doing well. However, the situation was overshadowed by images of Trump appearing to sleep during parts of the event.
California Governor Gavin Newsom swiftly used the footage to mock Trump, calling him “Dozy Don” in social media posts featuring images of the president slumped in his chair. The November 6 incident was not the first time Trump has been caught on camera with his eyes closed during significant events. He appeared to doze off during a trip to Saudi Arabia in May, according to multiple sources.
The White House asserted that Trump was not sleeping during the November 6 event, emphasizing that Trump “spoke throughout and took many questions from the press during this announcement, which represents a historic reduction in prices for Americans on two drugs that help Americans struggling with diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and other conditions.”
Despite the visual evidence, Trump’s supporters have defended his stamina and work ethic. Vice President JD Vance stated Trump “does not have an off switch,” while Pam Bondi said “no one can keep up with” the president. Tulsi Gabbard called Trump “absolutely tireless.” These supporters cite Trump’s habit of making late-night and early-morning calls as proof of his continuous work schedule.
During the meeting with MBS, Trump elaborated on his sleeping habits, claiming he and the Saudi crown prince “talk at night” at the “craziest times.”
ABC News correspondent Jonathan Karl offered a different perspective on Trump’s behavior during a podcast appearance. Karl remarked that Trump “almost acts like a guy that feels like he’s running out of time,” noting the president’s age and lifestyle. “He’s 79 years old. He doesn’t really exercise. His diet isn’t exactly the model diet,” Karl said, adding that the president is known for taking calls at unusual hours, sometimes before 7 a.m. or late at night.
The sleep controversy highlights broader questions about presidential stamina and age that dominated the 2024 campaign. Trump repeatedly criticized Biden’s mental acuity and energy levels, making it a central theme of his political messaging. Now those same criticisms are being turned back on Trump. The recurring images of Trump appearing to nod off during official events have provided ammunition for critics who argue the presidency’s demands may be taking their toll on the 79-year-old leader.
As Trump continues his second term, the scrutiny over his alertness during public appearances shows no signs of diminishing. The White House has consistently pushed back against any suggestion that Trump sleeps on the job, but the visual evidence continues to circulate widely on social media and cable news, keeping the “Sleepy Don” narrative alive among his detractors.










