More than a year after ABC News declined to renew his contract, veteran correspondent Terry Moran delivered a pointed assessment of his former employer — accusing the network of operating as a fundamentally liberal institution so insulated from conservative viewpoints that it could not adequately cover President Donald Trump. The remarks, made during a Friday, August 14, 2026, appearance on “The Fifth Column” podcast, generated widespread media attention and reignited questions about ideological homogeneity in network news.
Moran, who worked at ABC News from 1997 to 2025, sat down with podcast co-host Michael C. Moynihan for a conversation that ranged from media criticism to the social media post that ended his career. When Moynihan asked directly whether ABC News was a liberal institution, Moran did not hedge. “Yes,” he said, arguing that the problem stemmed from a lack of viewpoint diversity and that no one in the newsroom had voted for President Trump.
A Bubble With No Exit
Moran told Moynihan that mainstream political reporters operate within a tightly sealed cultural and ideological world. Moynihan agreed, saying “the bubble is very real.” The exchange crystallized a critique that observers have leveled at legacy networks for years — though it carried unusual weight coming from someone who spent decades inside one.
Moran also acknowledged that many Trump voters were angry at him after his post — not because they believed he had been biased, but because they felt he had covered the administration fairly and that his outburst felt like a betrayal. He described it as a striking realization that his credibility with that audience had real value, and that he had spent it in a single overnight post.
The Post That Ended His Career
The episode that cost Moran his job began in the early morning hours of Sunday, June 8, 2025. At 12:06 a.m., he posted on X that White House adviser Stephen Miller was “richly endowed with the capacity for hatred” and a “world class hater.” The post, which was later deleted, also described President Trump as a hater — though Moran wrote that for Trump, the hatred was “a means to an end, and that end is his own glorification.”
The fallout was swift. Vice President JD Vance called the post “dripping with hatred” and urged his followers to keep it in mind whenever they watched ABC’s coverage. Miller said the episode was a “full public meltdown” that exposed the hidden ideological disposition of the mainstream press. ABC News suspended Moran for two days before announcing on June 10, 2025, that it would not renew his contract, calling the post “a clear violation of ABC News policies.”
Moran, who had interviewed President Trump a few weeks before the post appeared, has not backed away from the substance of his criticism. During the podcast interview, he said he still stands by his characterization of Miller as accurate and fair. His only stated regret: the venue. He told Moynihan he would have been better off making the same argument in a reported piece for a publication like The New Yorker rather than posting it on social media in the middle of the night while employed by a broadcast network.
Life After ABC News
Moran has since launched an independent news website, RealPatriotism.com, which features a daily video news program. The August 2026 podcast appearance, covered widely across the media spectrum, amplified his profile and recast him as an unlikely critic of the institution he once represented. Moran defended the body of his work at ABC, describing it as “excruciatingly fair.” But his willingness to say plainly what many in the industry will only whisper — that major newsrooms suffer from a structural absence of ideological diversity — has given his post-ABC commentary a candor that has proven difficult to ignore.
Broader Questions About Network Neutrality
Moran’s comments arrive at a moment when legacy television news organizations face intense scrutiny from across the political spectrum. His allegation that ABC’s coverage of President Trump was compromised because no one in the newsroom had voted for him points to a structural problem that critics argue no editorial policy can fully address. His willingness to speak candidly about institutional blind spots — from the inside — has ensured that his departure from ABC News continues to generate attention more than a year later.










