HomeTop Headlines5 Dead, Including Infant, in 3 Car Collision

5 Dead, Including Infant, in 3 Car Collision

- Advertisement -

On Tuesday afternoon, March 26, five people, including an infant, lost their lives in a three-vehicle collision on Route 40 near Wharton Township, Fayette County, Pennsylvania. The crash involved a black Honda Accord, a red minivan, and a tractor-trailer.

Pennsylvania State Police responded to the scene around 1:45 pm following reports of a multi-vehicle accident. Upon arrival, law enforcement officers discovered the collision involving the three vehicles, with a commercial truck prominently involved. Initial observations and photographs from the scene depicted the black Honda vehicle heavily damaged against a barrier, accompanied by the visibly stationary red minivan and tractor-trailer.

The investigation, as detailed by State Police Trooper Kalee Barnhart, is ongoing, with collision analysis reconstruction specialists working to unravel the circumstances leading to the incident. Despite the complexity of the situation, the Fayette County Coroner, Dr. Bob Baker, released a statement clarifying that the black Honda Accord, driven by 55-year-old Harold Nibert of Delaware, Ohio, veered across the double yellow line, colliding head-on with the tractor-trailer.

The collision claimed the lives of all occupants in the Honda, including Nibert, 47-year-old Bradley Thivener, 36-year-old Krystal May, 33-year-old Amanda Dawson, and her seven-month-old son, Kullen Dawson. The deceased were all confirmed to be residents of Delaware, Ohio.

While the passengers in one of the involved cars sustained minor injuries, the operator of the commercial vehicle emerged without harm, though he underwent evaluation by emergency medical services at the scene. 

Further investigation into the crash revealed potential factors contributing to the unfortunate outcome. Witnesses reported that the Honda attempted an illegal pass before the collision, suggesting that speed might have played a role in the incident. 

The crash necessitated the closure of Route 40 in both directions for several hours, causing considerable disruption. It wasn’t until around 7 p.m. that the roadway was reopened. A local resident, Stacy Kenes, voiced her concerns, “This is a very dangerous road.” Her views come as a warning to road users to use caution.

As the investigation continues, the Pennsylvania State Police, alongside other involved agencies, are dedicated to uncovering the precise cause of the crash.

- Advertisement -

Latest Articles

More Articles Like This