Two years after Catherine, Princess of Wales, revealed her cancer diagnosis in a deeply personal video, the royal is charting the next chapter of her public life — and it’s taking her overseas.
The 44-year-old recently completed her first solo international trip since finishing cancer treatment, traveling to Italy this month to study early childhood education methods in Florence and Reggio Emilia. When she returned, her message to staff was just two words: “Where next?”
That simple question signals a significant shift for Catherine. The Italy mission, centered on her Centre for Early Childhood work, suggests the princess is ready to expand her international footprint after a meticulously managed return to royal duties.
The Timeline of a Health Crisis
Catherine’s health journey began with planned abdominal surgery at the London Clinic in mid-January 2024, following her last public appearance at the Church of St. Mary Magdalene in Sandringham in December 2023. She spent 13 days in the hospital.
What followed were weeks of intense speculation and online conspiracy theories. William’s abrupt withdrawal from a memorial service in February 2024 — a decision the palace later tied to Catherine’s undisclosed diagnosis — only fueled the rumors.
On March 22, 2024, Catherine broke her silence in a video announcement that made history as the first time a senior British royal had spoken so candidly about a personal cancer battle.
“In January, I underwent major abdominal surgery in London, and at the time, it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful. However, tests after the operation found cancer had been present. My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy, and I am now in the early stages of that treatment,” Catherine said in the video, also explaining the painstaking work she and William had done to prepare Prince George, 11, Princess Charlotte, 10, and Prince Louis, 7, for what was ahead.
The palace has never revealed what type of cancer was detected. Her diagnosis came during a particularly challenging period for the royal family, with King Charles III and Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, both facing their own cancer diagnoses.
Recovery’s Uneven Road
By September 2024, Catherine announced she had completed adjuvant chemotherapy and described herself as “cancer free.” In January 2025, she confirmed she was in remission and focused on recovery. She made strategic public appearances during treatment, including at Trooping the Colour in June 2024.
But recovery has proven far from straightforward. During a July 2025 hospital visit in southeastern England, Catherine opened up about the post-treatment period being “really, really difficult,” telling patients that the strength required during chemotherapy masks a more complex aftermath. She has acknowledged her inability to function at home as she once did, calling the adjustment process “a roller coaster.”
Even small lifestyle changes reflect her new reality. On March 13, 2025, at Fabal Beerhall on the Bermondsey Beer Mile in east London, Catherine turned down a beer tasting from owner Hannah Rhodes and chose a soft drink. “Since my diagnosis, I haven’t had much alcohol,” she explained to Rhodes, noting it’s something she must be more mindful of now.
NHS cancer services commonly advise reducing alcohol intake during treatment, though recommendations vary by individual case. During a later visit to the Royal Marsden Hospital, the princess emphasized the importance of maintaining a positive mindset — advice she said she had heard repeatedly from fellow cancer patients.
Early Childhood and Human Connection
The Italian trip was far from ceremonial. Catherine has positioned early childhood development as the centerpiece of her royal work, and the Reggio Emilia method — which emphasizes creativity, relationships, and child-led learning — resonates with what aides describe as her deepening concern about declining human connection in the digital era. She reportedly believes this concern “has become one of the defining challenges of our time.”
Future international travel is expected to reflect this focus, with Catherine indicating she wants to examine how different nations approach children’s earliest developmental years. Photographs of the princess waving upon her arrival at the Reggio Emilia town hall marked a stark departure from the intensely private, protective months that followed her 2024 diagnosis.
Rebuilding on Her Own Terms
Royal observers view the Italy visit as a pivotal moment — the strongest indication yet that Catherine has transitioned from surviving treatment to actively shaping what follows. Her “Where next?” question to staff reflects a princess deliberately constructing a public role informed by her most difficult year.
Aides suggest her future engagements will continue centering on early childhood and the human connections she fears are eroding in a screen-dominated culture. Two years after a diagnosis that shocked the world, the Princess of Wales isn’t just resuming public life. She’s reimagining it entirely.










