Roughly 30 members of the extended royal family are expected to make their way to Balmoral Castle over the next few weeks for the monarchy’s traditional summer retreat in Scotland. One name that will not appear on the guest list at the 50,000-acre estate is Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, who has turned down the invitation his brother extended to him.
The decision by the former Prince Andrew effectively closes the door, for now, on any thaw between him and King Charles III. Attendance at the Highland gathering has long functioned as shorthand for who is still inside the family circle. Prime Minister Andy Burnham is among the guests anticipated this year. Andrew, according to those familiar with his thinking, has no plans to be there. The story was first reported on August 18, 2026.
Worry About Being Frozen Out
A friend of Andrew’s described a man convinced he has been discarded by his relatives, and certain that a trip north would end in awkwardness and cold shoulders. In his view, traveling all the way to Scotland would accomplish nothing except to underline how alone he has become.
People close to him say he has not laid eyes on the king once during 2026 — a remarkable gap, considering Charles has spent time at Sandringham in Norfolk, the estate where Andrew now lives roughly a mile away.
His last public appearance beside other members of the family came at the Duchess of Kent’s funeral in September 2025. He did spend as long as two weeks at Balmoral in 2025, though onlookers there recall a solitary figure who kept largely to himself, away from the rest of the party.
A Year of Escalating Disgrace
The declined invitation caps a brutal stretch. In November 2025, the king took away his brother’s “Prince” style, his “His Royal Highness” designation and the Duke of York title. Then, in February 2026, Charles removed him from Royal Lodge, the 30-room Windsor residence Andrew had called home since 2004. He moved first to Wood Farm on the king’s private Sandringham land, then to Marsh Farm on the same property, where he lives permanently.
That same month, police detained Andrew on the day he turned 66, holding him on suspicion of misconduct in public office. Officers questioned him for about 12 hours before releasing him under investigation. At the heart of the case are allegations that he passed sensitive material to the late financier Jeffrey Epstein during his tenure as the United Kingdom’s trade envoy. The inquiry has since expanded to take in sexual assault and trafficking allegations. Andrew has consistently rejected any suggestion of wrongdoing, and neither he, the king nor Buckingham Palace has verified the allegations.
Attention on Andrew’s long association with the convicted sex offender has intensified as the U.S. Department of Justice has put out millions of pages of records tied to Epstein’s network. In 2019, while held in an American jail awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges, Epstein took his own life. Andrew gave up his official royal duties years back as public anger over the friendship mounted.
Announcing the loss of the titles in late 2025, Buckingham Palace said the step had to be taken despite Andrew’s ongoing denials, and added that the sympathies of the king and queen stayed firmly with victims and survivors of abuse.
Isolation Deepens at Sandringham
Marsh Farm has proved a lonely address. Sarah Ferguson, his former wife, has stayed away, as have his daughters, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie. Since the eviction from Windsor, the only close relative to turn up at his door has been his brother Prince Edward, Duke of Edinburgh. Numerous accounts have painted him as profoundly isolated.
There is also an unresolved court case unfolding near his new home. Alex Jenkinson, 39, was charged in May 2026 with using threatening behavior toward Andrew close to the Sandringham estate on May 6. Jenkinson pleaded not guilty. Andrew, who had been walking his dogs, told the court that a man wearing a balaclava “began to sprint after my vehicle.” A witness statement from Andrew was read at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in early August 2026. Jenkinson, who is homeless and staying in a hotel, was barred from bringing his support dog into the courtroom; his lawyer said he depends on the animal because of ADHD. Suffolk Police is separately pursuing a Stalking Protection Order that would prevent Jenkinson from going near Andrew, contacting him, setting foot in Norfolk or visiting a number of royal residences. The trial is scheduled for December 21, and Andrew is expected to testify by video link.
Christmas Plans and What Comes Next
With the summer invitation refused, royal watchers have turned to the next test on the calendar: whether Andrew will walk to the traditional Christmas church service at Sandringham. Like Balmoral, that appearance functions as a public verdict on his standing.
For the moment, the police investigation remains open and may yet grow. His relationships with his relatives continue to fray. And a man who once ranked among the most visible figures in the House of Windsor is spending the season alone in Norfolk, technically welcome on the estate but plainly unwanted.










